Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More Deer Than Ever?

This quote from Leonard Lee Rue III's The Deer of North America is probably as good a place as any to start the discussion:

"It is often said that there are more deer in North America today than there ever have been. I have made the statement myself, buy my present research forces me to question its accuracy. I cannot prove the point one way or the other, however, and don't think anyone else can."

Like many foresters I have taken the statement that we now have more deer in the USA than ever before as Gospel truth, and I have bemoaned the effects of this huge population on forest regeneration. I like questioning long-held assumptions, and that seems like a great place to start a blog about whitetail populations and their long term effects on the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment